Sunday, December 5, 2010

Are you a good wrestler?

"James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad, greeting.

My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into divers temptations; Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience.
But let patience have her perfect work, that you may be perfect and entire,
wanting nothing."
James 1:1-4
...........................

Oh, who am I kidding with? The way I've lived my life up to this point. I cannot be the first person in line to say, "Thank you Lord for the trials, for the afflictions... for they have made me stronger!" This morning my words are more, "Is that how one's supposed to feel, when more often than not, found in the winning side of the battle?" I say this road of faith is rough, and often times I am too much of a complainer... a whimp, to try and thread this narrow road.

To a similar tune, apostle Peter says in his first letter...

"That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ."
1 Peter 1:7

"...As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance."
1 Peter 1:14

The book of James is such a practical book, especially for these End Times. Did you know that the name James is the Greek version of the Hebrew name Jacob? I did not know that till 2 weeks ago. :) I think it's neat how names given to different individuals at different life situations, have quite a significance in the Bible. In her book "Patriarchs & Prophets", Ellen White describes Jacob's experience during the night of wrestling and anguish (Genesis 32) as a representation of the trial through which the people of God must pass just before Christ's second coming.

"Such will be the experience of God's people in their final struggle with the powers of evil. God will test their faith, their perseverance, their confidence in His power to deliver them. Satan will endeavor to terrify them with the thought that their cases are hopeless; that their sins have been too great to receive pardon. They will have a deep sense of their shortcomings, and as they review their lives their hopes will sink. But remembering the greatness of God's mercy, and their own sincere repentance, they will plead His promises made through Christ to helpless, repenting sinners. Their faith will not fail because their prayers are not immediately answered. They will lay hold of the strength of God, as Jacob laid hold of the Angel, and the language of their souls will be, "I will not let Thee go, except Thou bless me." (Patriarchs & Prophets p.202)

...........................

"If thou has run with the footmen, and they have wearied thee, then how can thou contend with horses? and if in the land of peace, wherein thou trustedst, they wearied thee, then how wilt thou do in the swelling of Jordan?"
Jeremiah 12:5


1 comment:

  1. personaly I have found that in my shortcomings I find forgiveness in the Lords mercy and love. Yes?
    God bless you my friend. I like this post, well done.

    ReplyDelete