Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Love for Scripture

Last Sabbath was the first time I sang solo at church. Then last Thursday Pastor asked me to sing again. It was for a funeral service for the mother of one of our members at church. He could not find anyone that's available and not working that afternoon. Hmm, I wonder how many more times will i sing solo in my life. But all for His glory, can't just bury this ability on the ground and call myself a faithful servant, can't I? I sang "Give me Jesus."

During the service, one of her nephews had the privilege of reading the obituary. 88 years of age when God called her to rest. He mentioned how his Aunt was such a faithful reader of the Bible. He then addressed the congregation, "How many of us when we can't go to sleep at night, get up and read our Bible?"

That reminded me of my grandma in Indonesia. She is still alive and well, i think in her 80's now, living in the west (cold side) of the country. Back when I was young (grade school young), I remember once a year grandma would visit our house. In a span of 2 or 3 weeks, she would rotate her stay amongst her children in Jakarta. Well, back at her house she had a small store to watch. So i guess when she visited us, she had not much to do. When I came back from school, I would see her most of the time with her Bible. When Pops came back from work, they would spend some time talking in the living room. Then when I got a little older and more able to play the piano, she would time to time ask me to play the hymns and sing with her.

So, fervently reading the Bible, is that just something from the past generation? How did these two ladies develop their habits? Was it just something that came with old age? Lord help me to grow the desire to search You through scripture daily.

"Whom shall He teach knowledge? and whom shall He make to understand doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts.
For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little."
Isaiah 28:9,10

"Let no man despise you for your youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity.
Till I come, give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to teaching.
Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the elders."
I Timothy 4:12-14

Grandma's shop

1 comment:

  1. nice man. we all need to get back to the roots of this life.

    ReplyDelete