Thursday, October 15, 2009

Cooking 101

Trying to be vegetarian again this school year... but it's so hard! The only 'proteins' I know how to cook are eggs and hot dogs. haha. well, no I guess I'm not that bad. I also know how to do tofu. =P

Rice. I never realized how much I enjoyed rice until this year where I have to make them myself. =P I really can't recall, in this still-very-short life of mine, a situation where I had to cook my own rice. Not at home because my grandma would always make them. Not during camping because they never trusted me with cooking. Yes, shame... shame... Andrey. But now my rice-to-water ratio is improving by the day. ^^

Tofu. I called my grandma the other day to ask her how she does her tofu. I knew that she always marinates them. She told me it's one teaspoon of coriander powder with a little salt mixed in water, then leave it for a couple of hours. The tofu on the picture was a little bit different. That one was cooked in medium heat then left to marinate in the fridge overnight with peanut sauce. :)

Veggie. For now, I'm very thankful for all the varieties of frozen veggies out there. They're great! Save me so much time from chopping and cutting. The CLS program only spares us one hour (from 12.30 to 1.30) for lunch break before we start afternoon labs, all the way to 6 o'clock, Monday to Wed (no labs Thursday & Friday). Funny that now during class, usually around 11'ish, I'd start thinking on what frozen veggie I would 'cook' that day. Today during Hematology it was between the 'Oriental Blend' and the 'Sweet Corn'. Decisions, decisions... :)



Tofu's are great



Just one teaspoon :)



The Oriental Blend. =P



The Fridge
(cooked corn that day)



My first 'official' self-cooked Dish:
Rice, scrambled egg,
broccoli with mushroom...
(ok well not really... the dried potato & soy
stuff i brought from home) =P

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm...looks yummy Andrey! Keep up the great vegetarian cooking! Hey, have you tried Leanies? I think they are Loma Linda or Worthington. Or are those two the same thing? Anyway, I know they serve them at the AU Cafe sometimes for hot dogs. But if you haven't tried them they are really good...or at least I think so =) This is Cha, btw.

    ReplyDelete